RECIPES FOR LOW CALORIE MEALS
Coconut and lime soup
Serves 2 people
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 onion sliced
32 garlic cloves chopped
- A couple of chillies, sliced lengthways
- 1 inch of ginger, sliced finely
- 1 lemongrass stalk pounded with the side of a knife and cut into 2-inch long pieces
- 3 cups of broth of your choice, fish works well
- ½ tin coconut milk
- Two handfuls of button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 generous handfuls of cavolo nero or similar
- 1 tsp honey/agave/coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 – 2 Tbsp. fish sauce plus more to taste, you can substitute a smaller amount of soy sauce for a vegan option
- 2-3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2-3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- Fresh coriander to garnish
- In a medium pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, chillies, ginger and lemongrass. Stir frequently, for 5 minutes, or until onions are softened.
- Add your broth of choice and bring to a boil. Reduce head and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Strain out the aromatics (the garlic, onions, lemongrass, and ginger) and discard. Add in coconut milk, your protein of choice (this is not calculated in the calorie count), and mushrooms. Simmer for further 2-3 minutes , then add fish sauce, a splash of soy sauce, and lime juice, plus more of each to taste.
- Cook for a further 2 minutes, then ladle into serving bowls and top with spring onions and coriander.